On Tuesday, The Decoupled Menus Initiative will talk about the progress the initiative has made so far, as well as its next steps and how you can participate in them.
If you are interested in helping make the Drupal the best decoupled CMS overall, then join us at DrupalCon North America!
Where to find other initiative contributors
The best places to find us during the week if you would like to help out are:
- Slack in the #decoupled-menus-initiative channel -- Drop in and say hi and someone will help you out.
- In-person (Video call) during the Mentored Contribution time's each day. From 13-15CDT there will be members from the initiative at each event. If you want to talk to someone in real-time this is a great chance. Find the reception event on the events page, and then press the Join Meeting button on the event page to connect.
Join a team and contribute to one of the existing projects, or start your own and show off your ideas.
There are a couple of existing projects, with well defined issues, that would be a great place to jump in and help out.
- React component
- Web Components component
- JSON API Menu response
- ... and more. Tag issues that you're working on, or that you need help with using #decoupledDCNA2021
Or you can start your own. This is your chance to share your experience from past projects, or get creative and dream up new ways of navigating a menu.
Some inspiration to get the creative ideas flowing:
- What is the digital signage representation of a menu?
- Help add tests to one of the existing components.
- What would it look like to navigate a Drupal menu via voice commands like Alexa?
- Can you play Doom via a Drupal menu?
If you want to start a team, or have ideas but aren't sure where to go next come find one of us and we'll help get you pointed in the right direction.
Anyone and everyone is welcome. Whether this is your first time, or you're an experienced contributor, we'll have mentors who can help answer your questions and guide you along the way. And whether you want to write code, create docs, design interactive UIs, or anything else, we'll do our best to put your unique skills to work.
Have an idea for a project and want to find others to collaborate with? Let us know and we can help create the space, and link you up with potential collaborators.
Tuesday April 13th is Decoupled Menus Day. The morning will consist of a keynote and related sessions. And in the afternoon we’ll kick off the contribution hackathon. This is when we'll form teams, group newcomers with mentors, and generally provide the most hands-on guidance.
On Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday we'll schedule a time to hangout, answer questions, and help in any way we can. Expect this to be maybe about an hour each day. Though, many of us are in Slack (#decoupled-menus-initiative) and can be reached there asynchronously.
Throughout the rest of the week you and your team are free to self-organize and work on your projects whenever it works for you.
The primary gathering space for the hackathon will be Open Social (you're here right now!) and Slack (#decoupled-menus-initiative).
We'll have a main video call set-up where you can go for questions and guidance at any time. As well as individual video calls for focused collaboration on specific topics. Think of these like how groups are often organized by table in a traditional code sprint.
The Open Social site contains a list of scheduled events, and links to relevant video calls.
You find us in the #decoupled-menus-initiative on Slack.
-- Decoupled Menus Initiative leads